Friday, August 2, 2013

A Recipe For Start

From grades 6 to 12 I was always familiar with the administration,
and trust me it was not because they wanted to show appreciation,
generally I was faced with aggravation
or poorly disguised attempts at intimidation
which I could always shrug off without the least bit trepidation,
because by 13 the lie I told was an easy one:
"I'm sorry."
I often came home to the line "You know, you're teacher called today."
and went to bed to the line "You always have something to say."
It was ironic criticism coming from professional activists'
who would always say after shutting the door "we did name him for an anarchist..."

By 15 I could identify and diagnose a mark at 30 yards,
they usually had me pegged at 50,
They knew I was the kid that never learned he should be seen and not heard,
They knew I was the kid that didn't get beaten for back talk,
Because for every smart mouth wise crack, mom had a come back word
or two, or three,
So it went that, every figure of authority,
Pegged down a a part of me
There were those that knew I was a trouble maker,
but also an instigator,
on top of that a procrastinator,
and thus they tried to run me like a dictator.
and wouldn't give me the time of day,
but would throw it like a knife,
yelling "ABOUT DAMN TIME TO GET A WATCH!"
Then there were those that let me play the role of entertainer
like a solid comic that they kept on retainer
and for me it was a no brainer,
I liked the laughs, with jokes all things are better.
But my best teachers knew what to expect.
They never had to demand respect,
That they earned, only yelling to be direct,
These were the ones who would scratch out
"Trouble" on tests and write in "difference maker"
gave me the tools to preach peace with Mennonites and Quakers
Recognized I came from a long line of movers and shakers
Like my ma, they taught don't give up but meet halfway with takers
They took me off using labels like "haters"
Pointed out people are just needers
those who help them are leaders
those who prey upon them? conflict breeders
and if you care enough to be an interceder
then get in on their behalf,
gave encouragement to use my gifts and make 'em laugh
they were honest saying:
"sometimes you'll get the shaft.
but never, never stop giving what you have,
the truth. Not all of it, not even most of it, a small part
but with that, a steady heart
a touch of art
you can go and fill your shopping cart
get all your favorite ingredients
 because you've got what you need
to make a start."


No comments:

Post a Comment